Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Soutzoukakia (Greek Meatballs with Tomato Sauce)

Thanks to Elly, again, for another great recipe! This was such an easy, flavorful dish! Matt dove in for seconds and even attempted to lick the pan clean. If only I could pronounce the name of it... ha ha

My changes below are bolded. For the original recipe, check it out on
Elly's page.

Also, be sure to check out
Elly's blog for more great recipes!

SOUTZOUKAKIA (Greek Meatballs with Tomato Sauce)

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely minced or grated (reserve 2-3 Tbsp).
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 clove garlic, pressed (I used 2 cloves)
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley or 2 tsp. dried
1 egg
1-2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
olive oil
1 large (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can water
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. cumin (I used 1 tsp.)
1 (good) pinch sugar
salt and pepper
corn starch slurry (I used 1 1/2 tsp. flour instead)
A splash of dry white wine

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together the beef, onion, garlic, salt, oregano, parsley, egg, pepper to taste and breadcrumbs. Form the mixture into elongated oval-shaped meatballs.

Heat olive oil in a pan and pan-fry the meatballs until they are browned on all sides (you don't have to cook them through). Remove. You can probably bake the meatballs instead if you want, but simmer the sauce longer and maybe use a little beef broth in place of the water to add some depth to the sauce.

To the pan, add the 2-3 Tbsp onion (and more oil if necessary) and cook until translucent. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, water, wine, bay leaf, cumin, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a low boil and add the meatballs. Simmer about 10-15 minutes.

Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

1 comment:

Elly said...

Looks great and I'm so glad you liked it. Plus, thanks to your changes, I realized my cumin amount is off, lol. I use 1/4 tsp when I make a half batch/use the small sauce can. :::running to change my blog:::