Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mexican Lasagna

MEXICAN LASAGNA


I couldn't think of anything to make today, so I turned to Matt. He first asked me to make lasagna. Then he asked if I could make a Mexican lasagna. I remembered seeing this recipe on Pioneer Woman's site and decided today would be the perfect day to whip this up.

We both LOVED this. The flavor was on point and it tasted like something you'd get at a fancy restaurant! Best part is, we'll have plenty of leftovers for a few days! I'm not complaining! I halved the recipe and baked it in my deep ceramic lasagna pan.

MEXICAN LASAGNA
(adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups unprepared rice
3-4 cups chicken broth
2-4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, pressed
1 can black beans, undrained
taco seasoning (or chili powder, paprika and cumin)
1 ½ lb. ground sirloin
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa verde
8-12 small flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
8 oz. enchilada sauce
1 can corn, drained
sour cream and cilantro, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
Cook the rice according to package directions with chicken broth in place of the water. In a large skillet, melt a half tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until onion is tender. Add in chili powder (approx. 1 ½ tablespoons), paprika and cumin (approx. ¾ tablespoon of each), to taste. Stir to combine. Add the can of beans and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add cooked rice. Stir to mix well.

In the now empty skillet, brown the ground sirloin. Mix with chili powder (approx. 1 ½ tablespoons), paprika and cumin (approx. ¾ tablespoon of each) and salt to taste, as well as 2 oz. of water to create the taco beef.

To assemble the lasagna, pour half of the jar of salsa verde in an even layer over the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer evenly with flour tortillas to cover. Spread approximately half of the rice mixture evenly over the tortillas. Sprinkle with a layer of shredded Mexican cheese. Add another layer of flour tortillas. Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Spread taco beef evenly over the enchilada sauce. Layer one can of corn over the beef. Top with the remaining rice mixture in an even layer. Spread the remaining salsa verde evenly over the rice, and sprinkle with a layer of shredded cheese to finish.

Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begins to brown a bit. Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving. Top individual servings with sour cream and fresh cilantro, for garnish.

4 comments:

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Oh YUM!! I've been wanting to try this recipe for so long now...I think this week is the week to give it a go!! ;-) It looks great!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Sylvie said...

That sounds brilliant. I like the idea of adding the rice. The Mexican Lasagnas I had before always still had the lasagna sheets and no rice.

Carolynn said...

You have inspired me to try this recipe! I too have seen it on PW, but have not tried it yet. Congrats on your success in following WW and losing those pesky pounds!! I have one suggestion: since you are doing WW, I assume that you are calculating the points value of the dishes you are preparing--- so could you share the point values along with your recipes whenever it is something WW appropriate- portion and point value wise? That woul be most teriffic and helpful to those of us that are trying to eat wisely. Thanks a bunch-- I enjoy vistiting your blog and trying all the yummy recipes that you share with us!

Cowesett Construction Company said...

YUMMY! I make something similar. But instead of rice I use soft tortilla as the "pasta" layer. It softens up a bit in the oven! Its delish!