Monday, September 1, 2008

Chicken Shawarma

CHICKEN SHAWARMA


This is BY FAR the BEST Cooking Light recipe I have made and it's finally making its way to my blog. I've made this 3 different times. It's so good that we eat it so fast and I forget to take pictures!! The flavor is so, so good. If you love garlic, you'll love this. This is a must make. You won't be sorry ... and it's WW friendly!

CHICKEN SHAWARMA - (Cooking Light)

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken:
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced (I used a couple extra)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced (I used a couple extra)

Remaining ingredients:
Cooking spray
4 (6-inch) pitas
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
Sliced onions (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

2. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.

3. To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.

4. Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. (I broiled my chicken for about 15 mins)

5. Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted (I put the pitas in the toaster oven for a few mins). Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top each serving with 4 chicken pieces; drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.

Yield
4 servings

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 384(23% from fat); FAT 9.8g (sat 2.1g,mono 4.1g,poly 2.7g); IRON 4.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 64mg; CALCIUM 106mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40g; SODIUM 821mg; PROTEIN 34.4g; FIBER 2.5g

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE this kind of meal - had it 2x this week, but I've been meaning to try this particular recipe.

Kira said...

I LOVE chicken shawarama and Cooking Light. This recipe will probably be my favorite thing ever.

Anonymous said...

Erin, you are WELL AWARE that chicken shawarma is my all time FAVORITE Lebanese meal. So flipping good. Mmm... and this looks FANTASTIC! I love that cooking light has it!

Laura said...

Thanks for the WW friendly recipes! I am always on the lookout for them as I find my biggest challenge is mixing up my meals when getting back on the WW track!

Cheryl said...

Just made this tonight. What an excellent and easy meal! I get Cooking Light, but for some reason, this one didn't jump out at me.
Thanks for posting!!!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Wow - this looks really good!! I can't wait to try it!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com